CREATING RAP BEATS THEY WILL WANT TO BUY
In the video above, I take you step by step and part by part through the creation of one of my latest beats. I’ve started to attract more success in terms of getting more beats sold, working with more artists and creating and selling more loopsets and sample packs for other producers. Most recently, I was connected with a licensing company interested in placing my music (rap beats, pop beats, full songs etc) in advertisements and TV shows. I’ll have an update on that in another post. Right now I’m just giving a little insight into what i do to make my sound more appealing to a wider cross section of artists who buy beats online and producers who use loops and samples.
There is no magical formula for making hot rap beats that artists will want to buy online and I can’t teach you what is not naturally a part of the talent you would need to possess. However I will give you a few points to give an idea of my personal process
PROFESSIONAL RAP BEATS START WITH A PROFESSIONAL MINDSET
If you are a producer trying to achieve a marketable sound with your rap beats, or if you are an artist who buys beats online then these points may interest you:
- Develop at least a basic musically understanding. Learning to play chords, understand scales and the formulae for identifying major and minor scales are great ways to improve your skills. (Google the “Circle of Fifths” as well)
- Understand the genre. Different genres are made up in different ways and they each carry their own unique sounds and styles. Learn which types of drums and tones suit which genre and use them well.
- Listen to the music being released in your genre. If you’re making rap beats, listen to what’s hot in the hip hop world, both the mainstream and the underground. Chances are you will want to be able to cater to either type of artist.
- Remember you are in business to succeed. Learn as much as you can about marketing and the psychology of why people buy things. It’s not just about great beats but also about an overall mindset.
- Try to collect sounds and instruments that are being used in the latest styles. If your sound seems dated then it will be more difficult to attract artists with that they hear from you.
BUY BEATS ONLINE FROM THOSE WITH PROVEN EXPERTISE
Artists, it will be easy to tell the producers who follow the points above (or similar guidelines). The ones who don’t will have beats that are probably not well mixed or just don’t have the appeal of today’s hits (both mainstream and underground) that you are looking for. If you do buy beats online, make sure your money is well spent on quality beats.